Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well being. Being healthy should be a part of your overall lifestyle. It helps to prevent chronic diseases and long-term illnesses. This can be possible through family medicine, which is a specialty that focuses on general healthcare for people of all ages, from newborns to senior citizens. It covers all of your basic healthcare needs. Family health practitioners/physicians manage a wide range of health problems either directly or through referral to other super specialists.
Understanding The Concept of Family Medicine
Family medicine practice offers generalised medical care for people of all age groups. Family medicine doctors are primary care physicians who focus on your health and wellness. They have training and education from pediatrics to geriatrics, and make sure you receive the routine care that you need at every stage of life.
Family medicine physicians treat common health concerns like flu, skin and hair disorders, prevent chronic illnesses, focus on women and mental wellness, and work towards patient education.
Benefits of Having a Family Medicine Physician
There are several noteworthy advantages of family medicine that can be beneficial to you and your family:
- Being familiar with your family and lifestyle
- Age-specific medical care for all in the family
- A physician who knows your family and medical history
- Customised care from a family physician who is well aware of you and your family
- Establishing a long-term relationship with your physician
Services Included Within Family Medicine
Family medicine physicians offer numerous health services that are tailored to the needs of all family members.
The following services are available within family medicine practice:
- Laboratory services
- Home care services like sample collection, ECG (electrocardiogram)
- Physical examination
- Acute and chronic healthcare
- Women wellness
- Health risk assessments
- Healthy lifestyle counseling
Family medicine physicians ensure you and your family members attend the annual preventive visits.
During your family medicine care appointment, you can expect the following:
- Recording your vital signs (BP, oxygen level, heart rate, body temperature)
- Evaluating your medical, and family history
- Assessing your lifestyle habits and mental wellness
Family medicine physicians have the skill to treat a wide range of medical conditions and are familiar with you and your family. They can be your primary care doctor at any point in your life. Family medicine physicians are always considered the backbone of health care!